IOM in Lithuania
Lithuania became a full member of IOM in 1998. A Cooperation Agreement between IOM and the Government of the Republic of Lithuania was signed on 13 February 1998 and ratified by the Seimas on October 13, 1998.
In Lithuania IOM implements these main activities:
- Assisted voluntary return and reintegration. IOM Vilnius office provides return assistance to home countries for migrants in difficult situations since the establishment of the Office.
- Migration research. IOM Vilnius implements topical research and collects, analyses and provides in the user-friendly manner main migration statistics.
- Prevention of trafficking in human beings. IOM Vilnius office seeks to bring public’s attention to the problem of human trafficking and provides return and reintegration assistance to victims of trafficking.
- Integration and promotion of tolerance. IOM Vilnius works in promoting tolerance by providing trainings to civil servants aimed at increasing their understanding of different cultures.
- Representation of Lithuania in the European migration network. IOM Vilnius office represents Lithuania in the European migration network and various working groups.